Navy Dads

We recieved our form letter today, we're so excited. Our son is in Ship 11 Div 284 with a PIR of 12 Sep 2014. Hope to recieve a phone call within the next 2 weeks. If anyone else's family is in this ship and div, love to hear from you.

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Howdy,

Our Son is on Ship 11 in Div 283.  He forgot to put the info in his letter about his PIR so for now I'm marking down your son's.  :)  

We are here in Glendale, Arizona how about you?

We are in a very small town, Humboldt, Kansas. Less than 2000 people.  We are so proud of all the SR's, our son turned 18 one month ago today and his rate will be an MA. What is your sons rate?

My name is Otto Boslow, my son Curtis is also on ship 11 div 284 with pir of 12 sep 2014. Hope they help each other out and get through basic. we are from Kingwood Texas.

Hi Otto, Nice to meet you.  I'm sure they will, do youknow if it's a bro/sis div, or all males. if it's a bro/sis div, they may have a better chance of knowing each other. What's your SR's rate? We're still hopeing for a phone call soon or at least a letter letting us know what's happening, but that too will come in time, I guess.

Hello Ricky, I do not know what the rate means, I'm new to this. I do know Curtis is right now going to go to the Nuke school after basic trainning in S.C. for two years. I watched all the U Tube info I could find on the internet for basic and A/C carriers. HE wants to be based out of Japan at this time. Time will tell where he ends up though. I do know that the first 4 to 5 weeks are pretty tough on them though. It's Curtis's first time away from home for any amount of time. It will change the young men for the better though for the rest of there lives. Its so very nice to meet you. I would guess there wont be any phone calls or letters too soon. I think they will keep them isolated from the outside world to break them down and rebuild them to what the Navy wants them to become. Since I don't think I will hear from Curtis too soon it will be nice to know there is someone out there just like me wanting the best for the kid.  

Hi Otto, rate means his job, rank means if he is an E-1 E-2 (pay scale and position upon other sailors) etc. Yes I want the best for my son and all thr SR's (Sailor Recuits). I hope they help each other out, I thknk haveing study buddies will help them all. RTC (Navy Boot Camp) is i think designed to get them to comply for the first 2 - 3 weeks. Not being away from home is hard for them and us. But no contact is what they will need to make the transformation from boys to men. My son (Tristan) wanted to become an Kansas State Trooper but he couldn't until he is 21, so he will be A policeman in the Navy, (MA- Master -At-Arms). It will be interesting to see how fast they will grow in the Navy. Have you checked out face book page 09-12-14 Navy Boot Camp? It's a page where others have kids graduating the same day, or Navy Dads on Face Book is good too.I hope they find friends they can talk to, like we're beginning to do. Let me know how Curtis is doing and I'll do the same.

that's not exactly correct:

United States Navy ratings are general enlisted occupations that consist of specific skills and abilities. Each naval rating has its own specialty badge, which is worn on the left sleeve of the uniform by each enlisted person in that particular field. Working uniforms, such as camouflage Battle Dress Uniforms, utilities, coveralls, and Naval Working Uniform, bear generic rate designators that exclude the rating symbol.

Ratings should not be confused with rates, which describe the Navy's enlisted pay-grades and ratings. Enlisted sailors are referred to by their rating and pay-grade. For example, if someone's pay-grade is E-5 (Petty Officer 2nd Class) and his rating is Boatswain's Mate, then combining the two—Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class (BM2)—defines both pay-grade and rating in formal address. Thus, Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class (BM2) would be his rate.

Ricky, found the rate of Curtis, he is going into either EM, ET, MM, MM-ELT. He will need to decide towards the end of boot camp I think. His contract he signed says he is  E-3 going in due to the extra tests he had to take to qualify for the nuke program. Thanks for in the info about face boot info. Need to go see that. It is still nice to have you to reply so I can read something each day. It helps with Curtis missing at home each day. With both young men with the last names starting with B hopefully they will get to know one another. I started today 07-24-14 writing letters to curtis will ask if he knows your son or not. That will be fun to fond out. Thanks so much for this, it helps alot....Otto 

Thanks for the clairification, sounds very confusing. 

it comes in due time....we all had to deal with it and learn it at one point or another!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments