Navy Dads

I know it's efficient and official to talk about ships with numbers, but it ain't very classy. Does anyone know the names of the ships with their corresponding numbers at the RTC?

Views: 10220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's a "Red Rope?"

I hope everyone's lined up for a great Christmas, or whatever you're going to be doing on December 24 and 25. We're going to be at my oldest son's house for Christmas with family and friends, and at the other side of the family, my in-laws for Boxing Day. They're from New Zealand, and the gift giving day is the 26th of December, Boxing Day.

I wonder if this comes from a tendency to have punch outs or from boxing up gifts. At the inlaws it could be either. My nephew is Army Special Forces: third hitch in Middle East. This time Afg., I don't know if he's back at this point or not. Spec. Forces seem to have a different schedule than the rest of the troops.
I Googled my dad's ship, the U.S.S. Anteitam, an Essex Class carrier. He served on the Ant from 1945 through 1948. It was task force flag during Philippines Independence and evacuation of Americans from Singapore and Shanghai. He said you could hear the artillery as the Communists advanced on those cities. Last year of his enlistment was SP on Guam. POW camp.
Steve,
My Dad was on the Triton when she did her circumnavigation. She was a very interesting nuc boat. Had things going on back there that the newer boats don't. This is also why she didn't last long.
I have reduced my focus on Navy ships to submarines. Spent 21 years on or around them and they still interest me today. Particullarly the newer technology they are employing. Pretty cool stuff.

Randy
Randy,

My dad, during WWII, tried for subs, but freaked out in the close quarters. They put them in a stand pipe with about 50' of water, and they had to sit there for a while, and that got bad for him, and then they had to swim to the top, and he just couldn't face it. He could swim the length of a pool underwater (I've seen him do it) but this was too much for him.

I had a friend in the 1970s who was a nuclear engineer, and wanted into the sub service. He had to interview with Adm. Rickover, and was made to wait for 8 hours past his appointment. When he mildly complained, he was shown into the adm.'s office, politely received and spoken to, and dismissed. He wasn't accepted. His inability to show infinite patience was the problem.

Subs must be inherently stressful. All that time submerged and in close contact with the whole crew.

All of the lists of ship names above leave out the one that my son is on:

Ship 02
USS Reuben James
3600 Ohio Street 60088-7105

Wayne

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments