Navy Dads

I just received the form letter for my son and so I am writing here to see if anyone else has a son or daughter on Ship 11, Div 142 with a PIR of 4/11.  My wife and I are in Tennessee and I would like to get to know any other proud parents.  We are very excited for him and look forward to hearing good news from him.  We hope to get a phone call on Sunday.

Views: 331

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats! Our son's PIR is 21March. We were surprised to get two phone calls the first two Sundays(one each of course). None since though. He could have called last week, but gave that privilege up to cover duties elsewhere for his shipmates.
Know what you are feeling,
Grant Miller
Missouri

Thanks for the reply Grant.  Your son seems like a special guy-already sacrificing for the team.  I appreciate your writing back.  I looked at some of your other posts and it appears that your son is going into the power school---is that Nuke school stuff?  Mine is on the nuclear track.  I hope they will run into each other.

I see you are watching some movies and reading some books.  I was looking at reading The War Below or Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken which gets great ratings.  

I have another question for you.  Have you seen these challenge coins?  If you go to the store and follow to Navy outfitters, they have what is called Challenge coins.  I have heard about these and I was thinking about buying one for my Son for PIR.  Do you have any input? 

We just got our form letter this morning.  Our son, Sam, got to RTC on 2/18 and was assigned to Ship 11 Div 141.  So they are in sister divisions.  His PIR is also 4/11.  We're in Arkansas and are definitely proud parents.  I worked for the Navy for 22 years and my wife is a Vietnam-era Navy vet, as well as being a Navy employee for another 15 years.  Also looking forward to that first phone call.  We sent him a boatload of letters today so he should have an eyeball feast at mail call next week.

My son's name is Sam, too.  Wow, 22 years of service.  I didn't serve although I have always regretted it. It was the end of Vietnam when my time came and there was simply too much fear in the world.  My wife sent a letter and his girlfriend sent a boatload of letters, too.  I haven't sent any yet, I'm waiting for him to have a little time after he reads all his girlfriend's letters.  I did buy a Challenge coin for him for PIR--well, I ordered it.  It hasn't come yet.  My Sam was with me and his mom for 3 years in Bolivia so he is easy to adapt to new situations.

Nuke-yes.  He has just recently chose his rate, EM.  I don't know anything about the Challenge Coins, but it seems like my wife mentioned them once. I am sort of interested in the Dog Tags though.  A bit off topic, but I just discovered the tv show NCIS.  Watching season 1 now and like it.  Maybe we'll meet someday?  Best of luck to your Nuke son and you!

Ronald Haynes said:

Thanks for the reply Grant.  Your son seems like a special guy-already sacrificing for the team.  I appreciate your writing back.  I looked at some of your other posts and it appears that your son is going into the power school---is that Nuke school stuff?  Mine is on the nuclear track.  I hope they will run into each other.

I see you are watching some movies and reading some books.  I was looking at reading The War Below or Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken which gets great ratings.  

I have another question for you.  Have you seen these challenge coins?  If you go to the store and follow to Navy outfitters, they have what is called Challenge coins.  I have heard about these and I was thinking about buying one for my Son for PIR.  Do you have any input? 

Have you heard about Sarge's Meet and Greet.  It says that Sarge reserves a spot at the Sundance Saloon every Thursday before PIR, starting at 5:00pm.  I looked on his calendar and it isn't reserved yet, but he has several in March.  I would love to see you there.  I am planning to go.

Ron

Lawrence Stiffler said:

We just got our form letter this morning.  Our son, Sam, got to RTC on 2/18 and was assigned to Ship 11 Div 141.  So they are in sister divisions.  His PIR is also 4/11.  We're in Arkansas and are definitely proud parents.  I worked for the Navy for 22 years and my wife is a Vietnam-era Navy vet, as well as being a Navy employee for another 15 years.  Also looking forward to that first phone call.  We sent him a boatload of letters today so he should have an eyeball feast at mail call next week.

Yes.  We plan to go also.  My wife really wants to meets the moms she has been talking with.  Look forward to meeting and talking with in person.  Haven't made hotel reservations yet (the boss is still deciding) and are still trying to decide whether to fly or take the train.  But we will be there for Sarge's M&G.

FYI,  we got a call from our son this afternoon.  Hope you all did, too.  Like most he says the food is good.  I think we all needed that phone call!  His is an integrated division.  He was put in charge of the forward hold (cleaning supplies closet) and is ship's staff.  His division was 84 or 85 and is now down to 77.  He is really excited about getting mail next week and wants us to send as much as possible.  He likes the structure of BC and what you do.  He said at the end that actually, BC isn't that bad after this phone call.  Big kudos to RTC for allowing these phone calls!  Oh, for those that may wonder, they were given a book of 20 stamps and a Navy Exchange card when they got there, and get to go to the Exchange about once a week for supplies, etc.

Ronald Haynes said:
 Have you heard about Sarge's Meet and Greet.  It says that Sarge reserves a spot at the Sundance Saloon every Thursday before PIR, starting at 5:00pm.  I looked on his calendar and it isn't reserved yet, but he has several in March.  I would love to see you there.  I am planning to go.

Ron

Lawrence Stiffler said:

Our grandson is on Ship 11 Div 141 and has a PIR of 4/11. His parents live in TN also. Just outside of Knoxville. We'll be flying in from AZ. Very proud of him.  He called home last week to get some info-very short call-told his mom he loves boot camp.

FYI, Divisions 141 and 142 volunteers gave blood this morning.  They took some pix and posted them on Facebook.  The FB address is Armed Services Blood Program, Great Lakes IL.  Page down and click on the big pic and they will enlarge and you can page thru them looking for your SR.  We found ours and it's at least as good as a phone call.  As the fella once said, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Good Luck!

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments