Navy Dads

Just discovered the website and wanted to see if anyone else has a daughter or son who just started at Newport, R.I. on 1/3/10 for the OCS/Bootcamp experience. Also if you have anyone that is in or has finished the boot camp please feel free to give us any hints or heads up. Our son started the process back in July and got his call in November for the class date.

Views: 296

Replies to This Discussion

Steve our son is graduating January 22nd in class 07-10. When he went back after Christmas leave he said he was picking up a new class to "guide" as he is now what they call a CandieO, Candidate Officer. He is one of the Brigade Commanders - Sam Braddock. Sounds like your son is one of his charges. He, I think, is the first class to do the 3 week indoctrination.

If you have any questions just ask. Cookie RMCS USN Ret
Thanks for your response. Yes I have been told that there would be 3 weeks of indocrination for his class. He has spent the last 6 months getting physically prepared and has really been reading up on anything Navy he could find. But i still worry about what all they will throw at him-hopefully there will be a "little" bit of pain for him.
Edward D. Cookenham said:
Steve our son is graduating January 22nd in class 07-10. When he went back after Christmas leave he said he was picking up a new class to "guide" as he is now what they call a CandieO, Candidate Officer. He is one of the Brigade Commanders - Sam Braddock. Sounds like your son is one of his charges. He, I think, is the first class to do the 3 week indoctrination.

If you have any questions just ask. Cookie RMCS USN Ret
Yeah Sam has been into the PT for well over a year, long before he decided to Go Navy. It has payed off I'm sure. But those Marine Drill Instructors have a way of pushing everyone, prepared or not, to the limit and beyond. Break 'em down then rebuild them into people/officers they never realized they could be. What a fantastic journey. The little things make no sense at all except afterward when it finally dawns on them what it is all about and they realize what they have become. It really brings tears to my eyes! Proud parents - you bet cha!
Cookie
Great news. when do they report for their first day? tomorrow will be 2 weeks for steven's stay and we have heard from him once, last Sunday afternoon. if we have this right, steven's class is the second one to have 3 weeks of indoc(a version of hell from what i have read). when he called he sounded very tired and his voice was barely audible because of all the yelling. his mom remarked to me that he didn't even sound like himself. they gave them 5 minutes exactly to talk but we were grateful to hear from him. i really didn't expect to hear anything until they had been up there 5-6 weeks. also instead of a class of 50 people they are in a class of 100 that is divided into two companies(please forgive if my terminology is incorrect).
We have discovered a family that has a daughter in one of the classes before steven and we have received a fair amount of info from them about what to expect. i had felt sorry for steven due to being in rhode island in january, but we have had colder weather here down south than they have had.

Well i know you are proud and i hope things go great for your sailor during this trying but exciting time of his life.

vharrisga said:
My Son Jake will be in Class 13-10
I think steven took very little with him. we did not hear from him this weekend-parents with kids in the other company did receive calls though. they have the big inspection on thursday so things are probably in high gear around their quarters. one thing we have heard is that we don't need to worry if our son/daughter didn't have everything they needed up there. there is a team mentality and if someone is needing then someone will share.
good luck and keep us posted on all the fun stuff

vharrisga said:
Hey Steve,
Glad to hear that ya'll heard from your Son. Jake will fly out Saturday, his Class begins 1/24. I guess he is as ready as he can be. He is not taking a-lot of extra things. He stay with the list given on on the OCS web site. Hope he has what he needs. Look foward to hearing about your Sons experience.
Hi,
Our son is in the 1/24/10; class 13-10. We received one email, bit no phone call so far.
Steve Whatley said:
I think steven took very little with him. we did not hear from him this weekend-parents with kids in the other company did receive calls though. they have the big inspection on thursday so things are probably in high gear around their quarters. one thing we have heard is that we don't need to worry if our son/daughter didn't have everything they needed up there. there is a team mentality and if someone is needing then someone will share.

vharrisga said:
Hey Steve,
Glad to hear that ya'll heard from your Son. Jake will fly out Saturday, his Class begins 1/24. I guess he is as ready as he can be. He is not taking a-lot of extra things. He stay with the list given on on the OCS web site. Hope he has what he needs. Look foward to hearing about your Sons experience.
Hey vharris, our son is in 13-10 also. Have you heard from him lately? We got the one phone call last week, but nothing since. Just wondering.

D. Labello said:
Hi,
Our son is in the 1/24/10; class 13-10. We received one email, bit no phone call so far.
Steve Whatley said:

vharrisga said:
Hey Steve,

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments