Navy Dads

My son just started "A" school for ET at Great Lakes today and will be there until May. Can anyone tell me where he might be going for "C" school. Pensacola was one place mentioned, but are there any other stations for "C" schools.

Views: 11207

Replies to This Discussion

So is C School an automatic for ET's? Thought I saw somewhere they only go if specializing.

All ET's will go to a "C" School. There is too much unique equipment on ships that just completeing A School is not enough.  The Navy has done in the past to send ET A school graduates to a ship TAD while they await for there C School to open.  Better to have them being productive then sitting a holding company and getting into trouble.

Havent seen any posts since August.  My son grads boot camp March 16, 2012.  He is in the AECF progragm.  Does he class up right away for his first school?  When does he find out if he will be an FC or ET?  Do these students go to C school right after A school or go to their 1st duty station?  Thanks guys!

We can only say typically when they come out of PIR, they will go thru indoc for a few days and then to SCC classes. SCC are basic seamanship classes that run about two weeks and are held in the evenings. Usually once they complete SCC they will move to another ship and start ATT classes. Since he is an ET, he will start and complete his ATT classes in GL (these are apprentice technical training classes) and when ATT is over - then he will start his actual A school classes. Because this is a heavy self-paced computer program, they will finish in 5 - 8 months depending on the sailor and any obsticles that may get in the way.

Sailors find out about their C school assignments about two weeks before they wrap up A school. Their C school location and length will vary depending on their class standing, the needs of the Navy and what orders happen to be available that day.

I do tend to say "typically" or "usually" alot as thing can change depending on what is going on in GL or how many students are waiting for a computer or how many new sailors just came in from boot camp, etc. They don't typically stray much from what I describe but if they don't have computers available - there could be a delay or if a building needs painting they may move three times instead of two. There was ALOT of moving from building to building before the holidays and we don't always understand WHY but ...we don't always need to know...either!!

My son(ET) recently finished A school and just to update anyone reading, this is the current situation, but always subject to change.

Shortly before graduating A school, they get to fill out their dream sheet. It can be based on location or future job. Currently, this has limited meaning, as you're likely to go based on the needs of the Navy. Your graduation rank will affect how long you wait to be shipped out. Top of the class goes first. My son,  because he was an honor grad, did end up getting his choice of job. He waited about 6 weeks to be shipped out.

If you are waiting to be shipped, you will be moved to the USS Cole in GL, and spend much of your time cleaning, standing duty and mustering. Right now, it seems all the FC's are on about a six month hold in GL.

FWIW, he did not find out his next assignment until a month after he finished A school.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments